Thursday, August 30, 2007

Last.fm Rules



















Since I'm on the theme of music, I'll carry this one more step and talk about Last.fm. This is a program I've been using a little over a year and really enjoy.

The basics of Last.fm is that you install a program or plugin on your computer that tracks all the songs you play. You can enable/disable this tracking, which Last.fm refers to as scrobbling, whenever you want. So while you're secretly listening to "Hit me baby one more time" by Brittney Spears, you can turn off the scrobbling so that no one knows. Or turn it on if you want everyone to know... whatever floats your boat.

The collection of songs Last.fm scrobbles can then be used by the service in a variety of cool ways. First, you can create widgets to put on your Facebook or Myspace page that will display your top ten tracks or music you are most recently listening to. It will get updated automatically when you listen to new music.

But the feature I've enjoyed most lately (and am using at this moment), is the ability to create a radio stream based on my previous listening habits. I've got one set up on my Facebook page now, and it streams songs that are similar to what my scrobbling habits have shown I like. It does this surprisingly well, and I usually really like most of the songs it plays.

Enough from me... check out these features and more here:

Last.fm Homepage >
App for Facebook >

No comments: