Monday, September 3, 2007

iWeb 08' Review


















I am at the end of a two day immersion into iWeb 08'. There has been a lot of chatter on the internet about problems with the latest iWeb. Most of the complaints have come from users migrating sites from previous versions. Since I have never used the previous versions, I thought I would give a few notes from a first time user's experience.

My first impression of iWeb 08' was that it is amazing. I know of no other software package that can put together as high of quality sites as easy as iWeb. The templates can no doubt allow amateurs to make professional looking sites.

Things I loved:
1. Overall ease of use
2. HTML code widget (provides unlimited possibilities)
3. Podcasting and Blogging integration
4. Quality of templates

Things that I want changed:
1. Allow full customization of the navigation bar.
At a minimal, the designer should be able to change the font size, the font type, and have the option to center the text horizontally.

2. Add some more widgets in addition to Google Maps and AdSense.
This is a big area that Apple could expand iWeb in the future (and I imagine they will).

3. Browser Compatibility.
Generally, I did not have any major problems, although I have an issue with the navigation bar not loading on an AOL browser that I need to look into. What was amiss is the fonts. iWeb default fonts look great on the Mac, but on the PC the text looked aweful.

4. Easier publishing to non iMac sites.
Sites can be published to .Mac with on click, but have to be exported to a folder and then ftp-ed separately for other servers.

No comments: